Thursday, January 7, 2010

Continued

A little more about my history of developing games.
When I was in the 2nd or 3rd grade (around 7 to 8 years old) my good friend Tu showed me a great game that intrigued me for what I am today. Well the game was Starcraft and after me seeing him play it with his older brother (who was a computer hacker) I fell in love with it right away. So I went out and bought the battlechest at Target and went home and played it. Then one night we wanted to play over the phone lines (oh yeah, dial up fun) and he asked me what kind of map I wanted to have made. So we came up with Bionicles (legos) and he made it in front of me and I guess that is where I got hooked.

So I practiced and practiced but was very limited on my parents Windows 98/ME computer and when they bought there XP about 6 years ago I was open to many new programs which made everything easier to do. A couple years of experience and I had joined one of the best map making clans Operation Onslaught (Oo.oO) and grew up in the later ranks. Until one of my clan mates showed me Half-Life 2 my thoughts changed forever.

Soon I got Half-Life 2 and downloaded Counter-Strike: Source on dial-up. It took me a good 2 weeks downloading 24/7 to complete the download. Comparing my speed from then to now is a giant leap that even Micheal Jordan wouldn't be able to jump. (5kb/s to 4.2MB/s[~4300kb/s] 860x faster) He told me to download source sdk and follow this tutorial and it sprang off from there making CS:S maps.

Keep a watch! more to come on how I got into the modding scene!

No comments: